Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Coadjutor for St. Paul-Minneapolis?

Archbishop Harry Flynn of St. Paul-Minneapolis has confirmed that he has requested the Holy See appoint coadjutor bishop to assist him in his pastoral mission in his archdiocese and who would then be slated to succeed him upon his retirement.

This confirmation came in this article recently published in The Catholic Spirit, the newspaper of the Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis.

The reason for the request, according to Archbishop Flynn, was fairly simple:

“Here’s the scoop,” Archbishop Flynn said. “When a bishop is over 70 and he needs an auxiliary, Rome is not inclined to give him an auxiliary, but rather a coadjutor. I’m over 70. I’ve lost an auxiliary. We need another one. I wrote for an auxiliary. Rome said, ‘No, you have to have a coadjutor.’ So I wrote for a coadjutor.

Archbishop Flynn also offered his reflections on what he has found fulfilling and a challenge in his episcopal ministry:

“I think I enjoy most going to parishes and being with the people of God — celebrating with them the great liturgy that is ours, speaking with them afterward and simply being with them,” he said. “I come back re-created, renewed, rejuvenated and ready to take on any week.”

Less enjoyable have been the administrative duties that are a large part of a bishop’s responsibilities. “I’ve never had the inclination toward administration,” he said. “That part can be toilsome for me.”

Archbishop Flynn reflects on several other issues facing his local Church as well as the broader Church in the article. Check it out.

No comments: